Sunday, February 2, 2014

Beautiful Budapest


We had November 1st off of school for All Saints Day. On Halloween night we took the train to Budapest. It was our first time in a sleeper car and I found it surprisingly easy to sleep. It was a great way to travel after many overnight bus rides that have been less than comfortable.




The Danube river runs through Budapest. At one time Buda and Pest were two separate cities. The Buda side is hilly and the Pest side on the other hand is completely flat. Our first day we went on a walking tour and saw many of the main sites of the city. My favorite was Matthias Church. I adored the colorful tile roof. 


The food in Budapest was rich, warm and perfect for a fall weekend. This garlic soup was my favorite it was served with a piece of fried bread that had cheese and sour cream on top. 


Budapest is known for its many thermal spas. We went to the largest one. There were lots of different pools at different temperatures. My favorite was the warmest one outside. I could have stayed all night but we all got really hungry and left after just a few hours. 


 Genna wasn't feeling great the last day. We went to the top of  Gellert Hill and I carried Genna's bag to lessen her load. I felt a little like a pack mule walking up the hill. 


The view from the top was outstanding and was a great ending to an excellent weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment